Friday, November 15, 2013

Small Town.

In Measure What Matters, I read over the portion where the author discusses how, in times of crises, your community can turn into a small gossip center. Have you ever lived in a small town where everyone knows your business? I have. It is so true that organization should build that relationship with their audience and community so they have allies in tough times.

I lived in a town with two streets, a church and a pop machine. That is all. There was 60 houses at the most. My dad was the pastor at the only church, so my sisters and I were watched like hawks. Every single person in that town could tell you anything about us. It got very old. It wasn't just my family though. Everyone talked about how the old lady in the blue house was a hoarder. The guy with the huge beard smoked and sold pot. The 14-year-old girl down the road owned four chickens. Everyone knew everything. It was incredible. Gossip spread like wildfire. When my neighbors barn burnt down, it wasn't long until a rumor had spread that a teenager set it on fire. There is nothing you can do to stop it.

Trying to convince someone that their version of the truth is false is very tough. Especially with a company, no matter what you say, someone has another version. Building that relationship with your loyal customers and your community gives you credibility. They will believe you when they know they can trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment