Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Staying Organized in College

It has taken two years to finally figure out how to organize my life while I'm at school. I am balancing two jobs, Public Relations Student Society of America, True North PR Firm, Residence Life and, of course, classes. I had to keep organized or I was going to drown this semester. I am sure I'm not the only one that struggles with keeping organized. Here are some tips that helped me stay on the right track this semester:

1. Use an agenda - Writing down assignments and reminders will help you keep track of what you need to get done. Don't rely on your own brain to remember everything!

2. Use cell phone reminders - Having your cell phone remind you of upcoming test, assignment or meetings is helpful when you tend to loose track of time.

3. Find your own system - Knowing how your mind works will help you find a system that works for you. Not all of us can just write a to do list and stick to it. I know I need like four or five reminders to keep me straight.

4. Be colorful! - Color coding helps me keep track of what subjects need most of my attention.

5. Avoid distractions - To avoid homework, I clean. I will clean anything and everything if it means avoiding homework. Staying clean helps me stay on top of homework and avoid distractions.

Avoid procrastinating and organize your life. You won't regret it!


3 comments:

  1. Those are great tips to use. Personally, I use my cell phone to type up quick reminders a lot. It's very helpful, since my phone is with me most of the time. Plus, I'll look at my memos frequently, so those little notes click in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to this! As far as an agenda goes, my planner runs my brain. If I don't look at it when I make plans I often find myself double or even triple booking my time. I haven't started using my phone as a reminder yet, but I think that perhaps I should start because last night it was 12:30am and as I was crawling into bed I realized I forgot to do two other things and had to get back up. Finding my system definitely took me a little while as well, so you're not alone. I think that the color coding and avoiding distractions are great tips as well! I'm definitely guilty of letting things distract me. If someone comes to talk to me as I'm doing my homework I am not likely to say I'm busy and can't talk. I'd do anything for them to talk to me forever so I don't have to do my homework. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I have found these tips also work for me. College is a tough thing to get a grasp of but when you finally do, it is a big relief! Thank you for sharing these fun tips.

    ReplyDelete