Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Maximizing your education

I am in the last two years of college and I'm very excited about starting a career soon. I feel like every college student should take the 4+ years they spend in college and make the best of it. These are three things every college student should be doing with their education:

1. Find the major that best fits you
2. Leave yourself with opportunities to change
3. Constantly be building your skill set

I came into ONU thinking I wanted to major in marketing, but I took a couple semesters worth of classes and it wasn't a good fit for me. After exploring some options, I changed my major to public relations. Still, every time I'm asked, "what do you want to do after graduation?" my answer changes. At first, I wanted to do sports, then nonprofits, now I'm not even sure. All I know right now is that my interest change all the time. I want to leave myself with the ability to change directions in my career so I am always doing something I enjoy. 

I choose to really diversify my education. My major is public relations with a concentration in business, but I also have minors in social media and marketing. I felt that this combination would give me a wide skill set and allow me to change career paths. 

I truly believe that it's important for college students to maximize their time in college. You never know what you will want to be doing in 10 years. College is where you start to take control of your life and develop your life goals. Integrate different experiences on campus with your degree requirements. Join organizations and really challenge yourself. Step outside your comfort zone. You never know where it will take you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment