Thursday, January 23, 2014

Madness.

Let me tell you, one of the most annoying things a competitive person experiences is being put into a group with someone would could care less. Over and over again in college, I have been put into groups with people that function totally different than me. It has definitely been a great learning experience, but it's not easy either. I take challenges head on. No matter what, I love to compete and do my best. It definitely drives me crazy when I get put into a group with someone who is not competitive at all.

I have always had a competitive attitude. I have three siblings and we were always competing against each other. Who could get on the bus first? Who could make straight A's? Who could collect the most Beany Babies? I grew up with constant competition. So, it is not a surprise to anyone that all of us grew up to be competitive.

Now I am in college and group projects are a part of everyday life. I have definitely learned a lot about working with different kinds of people. In my business classes, I have worked with several international students in group projects. It was a struggle to overcome the language and cultural barriers. You really have to work to develop a relationship where you can understand each other and overcome the difficulty of working in an unknown setting. In other group projects, I have worked with others that tend to be less motivated than I am. This is definitely where I struggle the most. I am a perfectionist and individuals that are less motivated definitely are not. I get stuck with the choice between letting them do less than quality work and just doing it myself. It isn't easy letting people do work on their own when I know it won't be quality work.

This is where I learned my lesson. I can work hard on projects and give my 115%, but others might not. All I can do is encourage them to try their best and help them as much as I can. I shouldn't expect everyone to run at the same speed as I do. I will always be working as a part of a team. Individuals work at different paces and places. I have learned I need to just take a breath and trust in my teammates to pull through and do what I can to submit my best work.

Its definitely not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment