Monday, September 09, 2013

Share This

Surprisingly, I am actually enjoying this book quite a bit! Share this is a social media book that digs in pretty deep into all different types of social media and how it should be used. I have my own personal Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts, but it wasn't until I read through the first couple of chapters that I realized how organized the sites are. For example, hashtagging is the way Twitter and Instagram use to sort through the conversations happening on a daily basis. I knew that's how they did it, but I did not know why. They sort their conversations so that it is easier for us to find relevant information that can connect us to people with the same interest. Mind. Blown. I guess I never really thought it through all the way. It was just always there at my convenience, but it never really needed a purpose in my head. It is quite brilliant. Of course, we can connect with our friends and neighbors by friending or adding, but sorting the data the way that social sites do is the reason why the degree of separation around the world is shrinking. Before social media hit super popularity, it was said that everyone in the world was only separated by six people. Six people out there connect you to the Queen of England. It is pretty sweet. Now after social media, that is shrinking incredibly. It made it easier for us to connect to people all across the globe with similar interest by just clicking #YOLO. It's pretty crazy to think about. People who you would have never had a conversation with are commenting on your photos or retweeting your complaint about having to do laundry. We are getting closer and closer to people who are millions of miles away. Who knows, maybe the Queen of England will tweet to me one day.

1 comment:

  1. i might swoop this book up i use fb and youtube. . i'm old som i'm trying to get into vine. . . but i'll check this one out

    ReplyDelete